Saturday, August 20, 2005

Supporting Our Troops Overseas

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have a brother and sister, both Army MP's, serving overseas. I'm also the head coach of my high school alma mater's girl's tennis team. I've been thinking of ways to combine the two and recently I decided what I'd do.

Blackfive.net
(a great mil-blog) has for a long time been pointing out an awesome website, called Anysoldier.com, dedicated to making sure our men and women in the armed forces get the support they deserve. Most of them are young and more than you'd think don't have anyone back home sending letters, emails and care packages. Anysoldier.com has stepped to fill that need. You can browse their list of over 3,000 soldiers who have requested care packages, either for themselves or to hand out to the lonely or forgotten troops with whom they serve. If you want, you can even go to their sister-site, Treatanysoldier.com, and purchase pre-packaged care packages. Heck, Treatanysoldier.com will even choose a deserving soldier for you, so if you're really pressed for time you don't even have to search Anysoldier.com for one.


I've decided to see if my tennis team would like to do the same for my sister, currently serving in Afghanistan. I've emailed my sister and got her APO address, so the next step is to present this to the girls. I'll post updates here as this project advances.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home